They Say I'm A Dreamer

So after getting back from running some errands last night, I turned on the TV and the first thing that came on was XFactor with a sixteen-year-old boy named Carlos singing "Gravity" by John Mayer. Throughout his performance (WHICH WAS AMAZING), you could tell that he was so excited and overwhelmed with emotions because he was singing to a huge audience and the famous XFactor judges. At one point in his performance, he even said, "Wow... This is amazing."

And that's when it hit me.

I never watch shows like this, but I think it was kind of a message for me from the Universe or something to see that clip of Carlos singing. I needed that kick in the rear to remember to never give up and to keep trying. I teared up and wondered why anyone would ever choose settling for something practical over chasing their dreams. We are given this one, precious life. Don't you think you should go out and chase your dreams? Be the best you can be? Who has the right to tell you you can't do it?

"Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the universe." -David James Lees

If someone were to tell me that I can't be a tour photographer for a really well known artist/band, I like to remind them that the President has his job. There's only a new one of that position every 4-8 years. Sure, it's a hard job to get, but someone has to do it. What if someone told Barack Obama that he could never be President and he listened? Nina Davuluri just became the first Indian-American to be crowned Miss America. At some point, someone probably told her she probably wouldn't have that title and it was a waste of time to try.

Well I'm here to tell you the opposite.

GO CHASE YOUR DREAMS! Don't limit yourself by settling for what's practical. If things don't end up working out the way you want them to, at least you know you tried. At least you know you gave it your all. I refuse to listen to anyone who tells me my dreams are too big. Nope. Tuning you and your negativity out. Surround yourself with people who support you and bring positivity into your life. People who want to help you and tell you that amazing things happen just outside your comfort zone. People who remind you that you CAN do it and to push a little harder and wait a little bit longer when you start to give up.

Don't put your dreams on the back burner, friends. No one gets their dreams handed to them. You have to work for it. The journey makes the end product that much more special. And if all this isn't enough, here are some extra words of encouragement. I believe in you and I believe in myself. We can do this.

















2 comments:

  1. i absolutely love this post.

    i think sometimes there's this really strong stigma against having this sort of attitude. and OF COURSE there are so many factors that affect what choices we make, and moreover, the options we have to begin with. but years & years ago, at the perfect time in my life -- in college, deciding whether i should go for the english major that i desperately wanted, or something else that promised more immediate financial gains & stability -- i read an article in the new york times that discussed the merits of following your passion, particularly during times of economic recess. it really captivated me…and to a degree, i think it altered my world view. if you follow what you love to do -- and you follow it with passion, and conviction, integrity -- you're going to be ok. because the opportunities may be scarce, but you will make the opportunities yourself. and you'll work so much harder to get what you want.

    so, at the end of the day, do what you love. and if you do, guaranteed, you'll always love what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post! I can tell how passionate you are about this just by the way you write!!
    It's really inspiring!

    xoxo
    http://berrybloomxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete